FILING FOR ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS (GREEN CARD)
PREPARING FORM I-485, ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
Download Form I-485 from USCIS web site. Use the most current version of the form. Fill it out, print and sign the form.
DOCUMENTS TO INCLUDE WITH FORM-485
Applicants for adjustment of status are required to submit certain civil documents as part of their application, such as birth certificates, divorce certificates and police records. Department of State has Reciprocity Page for each country explaining how to obtain these civil documents from the specified country and whether or not such documents are available.
The following documents should be included with every Form I-485:
- Approval of relevant Petition (Forms I-130, I-140, I-360);
- Affidavit of Support, Form I-864 (if family based application);
- Form I-693A, Report of Medical Examination;
*Medical Examination is valid for six months only. There are three ways to submit Form I-693:
1) together with Form I-485 to the location specified on Form I-485;
2) after filing Form I-485 to the location specified in the most recent communication with USCIS (for example, an RFE); or
3) in person at an interview at a USCIS field office, if an interview is required.
- As of April 21, 2023, a single dose of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine, Bivalent meets the vaccine requirement of these Technical Instructions for applicants 6 years old or older and a single dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, Bivalent meets the requirements for applicants 5 years old or older. Although the monovalent Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines are no longer authorized for use in the United States, these vaccines are still approved under these Technical Instructions because they are listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization and continue to require 2 or 3 doses (depending on age) to complete the requirement. Instructions for other vaccine formulations have not changed.
- Applicant’s birth certificate with the certified translation;
- Applicant’s passport’s Visa Page;
- Applicant’s Form I-94;
- Applicant certified dispositions of the court for criminal offenses (if it applicable);
- Applicant’s passport photos;
- Check for filing fees issued to “Department of Homeland Security.” (The correct amount is listed on the USCIS website.)
The receipt will come in the mail in two-three weeks. The instructions to appear for fingerprints will follow.
The interview will take place at the local USCIS office.
- Bring all the necessary original documents with you to the interview;
- Bring Documents Showing Changes in Your Life Situation;
- Bringing a Competent Interpreter not a family member;
- Be truthful.
Green card will be mailed to the Applicant after the successful interview.
APPLICATIONS TO SEND ALONG WITH FORM-I-485, ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
The applicant may (and should) send the following applications together with Form I-485:
- Application for Employment Authorization, Form I-765;
- Application for Travel Document; Form I-131.
The Applicant shall receive an Employment Authorization and Advance Parole Card in 90 days so he or she could travel and work while awaiting for the adjudication of the main petition.
WHERE TO FILE MY ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS APPLICATION
Always check the filing instruction by USCIS. Follow Direct Filing Address instruction to ascertain the correct address for your filing category.
WHY DO I NEED AN ATTORNEY’S ASSISTANCE FOR FILING FOR ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS? MAY I DO IT MYSELF?
You may certainly try Also, the attorney will be able to inform you of any potential problems in your particular case and how to deal with those problems. Lastly, the USCIS will usually send all documents and inquiries to your attorney. This is particularly important if you will be changing addresses in the future.
IMMIGRATION SERVICES IN HIGHEST DEMAND
United States Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents can sponsor certain family members for permanent residence in the United States. This is the most common method of obtaining one’s “green card.” An individual can apply for a...
An individual may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification through PERM and then file Form I-140...
Green cards may be available to investors and entrepreneurs who are making an investment in an enterprise that creates new U.S. jobs. One must invest $1,000,000, or at least $500,000 in a targeted employment area in new commercial enterprise....
A U.S. citizen who intends to marry a foreign national within 90 days of his or her fiancé(e) entering the United States, and both are free to marry, can apply for K-1 fiancé visa. The law requires that the couple met each other, in person...
The H-1B visa classification permits a foreign national to work in the United States for a temporary period. US employer should offer a position of employment that is in a specialty occupation and pay prevailing wage to satisfy H-1B requirement.
The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture...
The judge may cancel removal in the case of an individual who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States, if such individual (1) has been an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence for not less than 5 years...
All grounds of inadmissibility are listed in INA §212, regardless of the fact that individual is otherwise inadmissible, he or she may be admitted into the United States temporarily by the discretion of the Attorney General.
Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, is legally required for many family-based and some employment-based immigrants to show they will have adequate means of support after immigration to the United States. Every petitioner for his or...