Schedule Free Case Evaluation

(202) 580-4559

petition for brother or sister

To petition to bring your sibling (brother or sister) to live in the United States as a Green Card holder, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age. Permanent residents may not petition to bring siblings to live permanently in the United States.

In order to start the process US citizen has to prepare and file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. If the sibling is married you do not need to prepare a separate petition for the sibling’s spouse; they will be part of the petition and will come to the U.S. together.

The following documents should be included with the petition:

Your certificate of naturalization or passport to show that  you are the U.S. citizen;

A copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your sibling’s birth certificate showing that you have at least one common parent.

The process of approving the documents is very lengthy. It might take up to 13 years. There is no way to speed it up. Unfortunately, during this time for your sibling cannot enter the United States.  Usually, the beneficiary of a pending or approved immigrant visa will not be eligible for a nonimmigrant visa, although certain exceptions may apply.

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY