Schedule Free Case Evaluation

(202) 580-4559

DACA - Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

The program expires after two years, subject to renewal.

Do not apply for an initial or DACA renewal if you have a recent criminal history, as this may make you a priority for removal and provide the government with the information it needs to deport you. Consult with the attorney in such cases.

What  Is  DACA?

Deferred  Action  for  Childhood  Arrivals  (DACA)  is  a  kind  of  administrative  relief  from  deportation.  The  purpose  of  DACA  is  to  protect  eligible  immigrant  youth  who  came  to  the  United  States  when  they  were  children  from  deportation.  DACA  gives  young  undocumented  immigrants:  1)  protection  from  deportation,  and  2)  a  work  permit.  The  program  expires  after  two  years,  subject  to  renewal.

PLEASE  NOTE:  DACA  does  not  grant  a  path  to  permanent  residency  or  citizenship.  The  DREAM  Act,  which  would  lead  to  permanent  residency,  has  NOT  passed.  It  is  very  likely  the  President-elect  Trump  will  end  this  program  when  he  takes  office  on  January  20,  2017.  As  such,  undocumented  youth  should  not  submit  NEW  initial  DACA  applications  at  this  time,  but  wait  to  see  whether  the  program  will  sunset,  or  whether  the  new  Administration  will  continue  it.  We  do  recommend  that  if  already  have  DACA  and  if  your  DACA  is  expiring  within  the  next  year,  that  you  apply  for  renewal  at  this  time,  especially  since  the  fees  are  also  going  up  on  December  23,  2016. 




DACA Requirement

  • You  were  under  31  years  old  as  of  June  15,  2012;
  • You  first  came  to  the  United  States  before  your  16th  birthday;
  • You  have  lived  continuously  in  the  United  States  from  June  15,  2007  until  the  present;
  • You  were  physically  present  in  the  United  States  on  June  15,  2012  and  at  the  time  you  apply;
  • You  came  to  the  United  States  without  documents  before  June  15,  2012,  or  your  lawful  status  expired  as  of  June  15,  2012;
  • You  are  currently  studying,  or  you  graduated  from  high  school  or  earned  a  certificate  of  completion  of  high  school  or  GED,  or  have  been  honorably  discharged  from  the  Coast  Guard  or  military  (technical  and  trade  school  completion  also  qualifies);  and
  • You  have  NOT  been  convicted  of  a  felony,  certain  significant  misdemeanors  (including  a  single  DUI),  or  three  or  more  misdemeanors  of  any  kind.  Consult  with  an  attorney  about  ANY  contact  you  have  had  with  law  enforcement  or  immigration  authorities.

Application Process


  1. Get  Help:  Don’t  apply  alone.  Contact The Law office of Irina Vinogradsky, LLC  for  legal  help.
  2. Collect  Evidence:  See  below  for  a  detailed  list  of  required  documents.  Remember  to  only  send  copies  (not  originals)  of  supporting  documents.
  3. Complete  Applications:
    • G-1145  –  E-Notification  (Optional)
    • Form  I-821D  –  Consideration  of  Deferred  Action  for  Childhood  Arrivals;
    • Form  I-765  –  Application  for  a  Work  Permit;  and
    • Form  I-765WS  –  Worksheet  explaining  your  economic  need  to  work.
  4. Submit  Applications:  Include  all  supporting  documents,  two  photos  and  fees.  The  fee  is  $495.00  (pay  using  a  check  or  money  order  payable  to  Department  of  Homeland  Security). 
  5. Where you file depends on your state of residence;
    Residence of Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, or West Virginia.
    Mail  to:
    USCIS Chicago Lockbox Facility
    P.O. Box 5757
    Chicago, IL 60680-5757
  6. Background  Check  and  Fingerprints:  You  will  receive  a  receipt  by  mail  that  contains  your  receipt  number  and  an  appointment  notice  to  get  your  fingerprints  taken  for  a  background  check.
  7. Final  Steps:  Once  you  have  been  fingerprinted,  you  will  receive  either  a  letter  asking  for  additional  information  (called  a  Request  for  Evidence)  or  a  final  decision.  Most  applicants  receive  a  final  decision  5-6  months  from  the  date  they  apply.

Documents to collect

Start  collecting  supporting  documents  for  your  application  –  the  more  organized  you  are,  the  easier  the  process  will  be!

Proof  of  Identity  and  Date  of  Birth

  • Birth  Certificate
  • Passport
  • Consular  I.D./National  I.D./Cédula
  • School  ID

Proof  That  You  Were  Physically  Present  in  the  U.S.  on  6/15/2012

  • A  verifiable,  formal  document  with  your  name  and  the  date  6/15/2012;  or
  • An  official  document  with  your  name  and  a  date  just  before  6/15/2012,  and  another  dated  just  after  6/15/12.
    (Examples:  school  records,  pay  check  stubs,  bank  statements,  credit  card  receipts,  etc.)

Proof  You  Had  5  Years  of  Continuous  Residence  in  the  U.S.  (June  2007  –  June  2012)
(If  you  don’t  have  school  records/transcripts  showing  that  you  were  present  in  the  U.S.  continuously  for  the  past  5  years,  provide  1  document  for  every  three  months  from  June  2007  through  June  2012).

  • School  Records
  • Financial  Records  (taxes,  bank  statements,  credit  card  bills,  rent  receipts,  utility  bills,  phone  bills)
  • Employment  Records  (pay  stubs)
  • Medical  Records  (physicals,  vaccination  records,  prescriptions,  dental  records,  etc.)
  • Other  records:  religious  certificates,  volunteer  records,  personal  statements,  etc.

Proof  You  Are  In  School,  Have  a  High  School  Diploma/GED,  or  Were  Honorably  Discharged  from  the  Military

  • School  Transcript  or  Report  Cards  if  currently  studying;
  • High  School  Diploma  or  GED  Certificate;  or
  • Military  Discharge  Papers

Proof  That  You  Entered  the  U.S.  Before  the  Age  of  16

  • School  Records
  • Medical  Records  (vaccinations,  physicals,  etc.)
  • Expired  Visa,  I-94  card,  or  Passport  with  Entry  Stamp
  • Discuss  other  forms  of  proof  with  a  legal  advisor

Proof  That  You  Are  Not  Ineligible  Due  to  a  Criminal  Conviction  or  a  Threat  to  National  Security/Public  Safety

  • All  applicants  will  be  fingerprinted  and  subject  to  a  background  check  of  all  police,  juvenile,  and  immigration  records.  If  you  have  ever  had  contact  with  the  police  or  immigration  authorities,  get  a  copy  of  your  records  to  review  with  an  attorney  before  applying  for  DACA.  We  can  explain  how  to  do  this.  (Examples:  criminal  court  records,  juvenile  court  records,  driving  record  from  DMV,  state  criminal  background  check  results,  FBI  background  check  results,  etc.)

Passport  Photos

  • Two  passport-size  color  photos.

DACA  Renewal


Only  persons  who  already  have  an  approved  DACA  case  are  eligible  for  renewal.

You  are  still  eligible  for  DACA  renewal  even  if:

  • You  are  now  over  31.  You  cannot  age  out  of  the  program.
  • You  have  graduated  or  are  studying  at  a  different  school  or  program.


Apply  at  least  150  days  before  your  DACA  and  work  permit  expire.  However,  USCIS  is  now  accepting  applications  more  than  150  days  prior  to  the  expiration  date,  so  you  can  apply  as  early  in  advance  as  you  want  to.  If  you  apply  for  renewal  in  this  time  range,  you  should  receive  an  approval  notice  and  new  work  permit  before  your  current  one  expires.

It  is  important  to  apply  for  renewal  on  time  to  avoid  losing  protection  from  deportation,  being  without  valid  work  authorization,  and  accruing  unlawful  presence  once  your  Deferred  Action  relief  expires.


  1. Get  Help:  If  you’re  a  Berkeley  student,  contact  for  legal  support.
  2. Calculate  When  to  Apply  for  Renewal:  Submit  your  application  at  least  150  days  (5  months)  before  your  DACA  and  work  permit  expire.  We  do  not  recommend  filing  it  any  later  than  four  months  in  advance.
  3. Complete  Applications:
    • Form  I-821D  –  Consideration  of  Deferred  Action  for  Childhood  Arrivals  (DACA).  Indicate  this  is  a  renewal  application  and  only  complete  sections  required  for  renewal  applicants.  Provide  updated  information  in  those  sections.
    • Form  I-765  –  Application  for  Employment  Authorization  (EAD).  Indicate  the  application  is  for  a  renewal  EAD  (work  permit).  List  your  current  status  as  “DACA  recipient,”  and  for  question  16  the  eligibility  category  is  (C)(33).
    • Form  I-765WS  –  Worksheet.  Briefly  explain  your  economic  need  to  work.
  4. Submit  Applications:  Include  two  passport  photos,  copy  of  current  work  permit  and  fee.  The  fee  is  $495.00.  Pay  using  a  check  or  money  order  payable  to  the  Department  of  Homeland  Security.  Mailing  address  for  California  residents:
    USCIS  Phoenix  Lockbox,  P.O.  Box  20700,  Phoenix,  Arizona  85036-0700
  5. Schedule  Appointment:  You  will  receive  a  receipt  by  mail  and  a  biometrics  (fingerprinting)  appointment  notice.
  6. Final  Steps:  After  being  fingerprinted,  you  will  receive  either  a  letter  asking  for  additional  information  (called  a  Request  for  Evidence)  or  a  final  decision.


Your  renewal  application  is  an  update  to  your  initial  application.  Update  your  address,  any  travel  you  did  under  advance  parole,  any  arrests  or  criminal  issues  that  took  place  since  your  initial  application,  and  any  contact  with  immigration  authorities  or  the  immigration  court  since  your  first  application.

Make  sure  that  the  information  in  your  renewal  application  is  consistent  with  your  initial  DACA  application.  If  you  need  a  copy  of  your  initial  application,  you  can  request  one  by  filing  Form  G-639  with  USCIS.  If  your  address  has  changed,  include  the  new  address  on  the  application  and  complete  a  change  of  address  with  USCIS,  which  you  must  complete  any  time  your  address  changes.

You  do  not  need  to  submit  or  re-submit  any  documentation  with  your  renewal  application  —  just  a  copy  of  your  work  permit.

The  exception  is  if  there  has  been  a  change  since  your  initial  application  regarding  your  Immigration  Record  (your  case  is  pending  in  immigration  court,  you  were  detained  by  immigration  authorities,  etc.),  or  your  Criminal  Record  (you  were  arrested,  detained,  and/or  convicted  of  a  crime).  If  either  of  these  apply  to  you,  consult  an  attorney,  make  sure  your  application  reflects  this  new  information,  and  submit  evidence  that  this  change  in  your  situation  does  not  impact  your  DACA  eligibility  (for  example,  the  court  disposition  regarding  a  criminal  case  or  an  immigration  judge’s  order  closing  your  case).

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I obtain a fee exemption for this process?

There are no fee waivers available for employment authorization applications connected to DACA. For DACA  application you may submit a request in a letter form proving that :

  • You are under 18 years of age, have an income that is less than 150 percent of the U.S. poverty level, and are in foster care or otherwise lacking any parental or other familial support; or
  • You are under 18 years of age and homeless; or
  • You cannot care for yourself because you suffer from a serious, chronic disability and your income is less than 150 percent of the U.S. poverty level; or
  • You have, at the time of the request, accumulated $10,000 or more in debt in the past 12 months as a result of unreimbursed medical expenses for yourself or an immediate family member, and your income is less than 150 percent of the U.S. poverty level.

Can I apply for DACA if I am currently on F-1 visa?  

 No. You can only request consideration of DACA under this process if you currently have no immigration status and were not in any lawful status on June 15, 2012. So if you have a nonimmigrant status such as F-1, E-2, H-4 or you have TPS you cannot obtain DACA.  For purposes of DACA, Temporary Protected Status is considered a lawful status.

If my case is approved under DACA, am I in lawful status for the period of deferral?

No. Although your DACA petition is approved and you do not accrue unlawful presence (for admissibility purposes) during the period of deferred action, you are not in any lawful status but  you are considered to be lawfully present in the United States. Your goal must be to adjust your status through your family (based on marriage to the US citizen or your son or daughter's petition) or adjust your status through employment.

How can I apply for a drivers license through deferral action?

You need to wait for your DACA to be approved first, obtain the approval & issuance of your work permit, apply for a SSN, then go to the DMV and apply for a driver's license.

For more information about DACA go the USCIS website.

  • MM slash DD slash YYYY